Friday, August 3, 2007

A Toast to Mr. & Mrs. Brandon Stock

Here they are folks - the newest "Stock's"


And now for the toast - please note the photo of me in action, now you feel like you are really there:


Please excuse my cheat sheets. This isn't just a two sentence, good luck "toast" - I'll warn you that it probably falls more in line with what most would call a SPEECH. I have never been known for my lack of words. Plus, Brandon is the only brother I have, and this WILL be the only wedding speech he gets from me, seeing as (of course) this is the ONLY wedding he will have. Please note that I love Erin dearly and Brandon, if you do anything to send her away, I will make sure I send you away, far away.

My dearest little Boober, I'm so proud of e everything you have and are becoming; not just to your friends, extended family or even your country, but to me. I vividly remember occasions upon which I was desperate to rid my life of you. Harsh, I know, but ya'll have no idea how growing up with Brandon was....painfully wonderful! Ha ha. You see, everything had to be his way (which of course is the right way, and the only way). We played games with his rules, which ensured that he would win. It was always HIS turn to ride in the front seat of the car and can we just say that Christmas at the Stock house started out about Jesus and ended up about Brandon.

Now, 25 years later, I've chosen to embrace these qualities, most of which he still possesses...but for the last 8, I've had Jake which adds humor to the situation and usually ends up with Brandon, being put in his place, screaming "okay, okay" and that is revenge enough for me for the years of torment I had at home.

Seriously Brandon, I've watched and captured you in these still frame moments in the last few years. Your academic and military achievements, your steady walk with Christ, moments with my children and glimpses of a man that I never envisioned my brother could ever become. You have absolutely made my heart melt, made me proud and of course, made me laugh.

We have conversations about adult things, when I know you call me because I am your big sister and you need my opinion or my story and I love that. You may never say it, but I know you need me and I know you love and feel the same way and I am so thankful that we have that kind of relationship.

So, my GI Joe, Transformer obsessed, A Team watching, annoying pest of a little brother, you are one of my dearest friends, larger than life heroes and trusted confidants. And today you've added yet another reason for me to be proud - you've married the only woman I would've ever hand picked myself for a sister - you will never understand what a gift that is to me and that is okay.

Erin, the bad news about this whole thing is that you are now responsible for making and laying out the cookies and milk for Santa ever Christmas Eve. Just FYI.

Erin, I can't recall any moments of wanting to sell you to the next door neighbors, but I can think of many when I've thought, "I sure wish they were going to be able to LIVE near us." I know it isn't possible, but a girl can dream, right? You just showed up one Christmas eve in the Salt Lake City Airport and Said, "Keri?" -I am not sure we've had any issues since. You are an amazing woman - marrying Brandon proves that in and of itself. But for me personally, our friendship and your honesty, your openness and respect for our relationship come first. I trust you and love you as Erin first and then the second added benefit is I am guaranteed a lifetime with you now as my sister!

It's no secret, I am the only girl in my family, or was. Both sides. I have 7 wonderful male cousins, a brother, a father, a husband, a son (thankfully a daughter) and I have picked up some wonderful female cousin -in laws along the way, but girl, welcome to the family! I could tell you to take care of Brando and all that but I don't need to. I have not one doubt that God hand picked you to love, cherish and keep him in his PLACE!

Now for my advice, and now, I do not give unsolicited advice, to anyone on any subject, ever.....except to my brother and his new wife on their wedding day! I've only got seven years under my belt, but it is something, right? So here goes it:

When Jake and I use Ephesians 5 as a model for our marriage and really look at how Christ and the church work together, the sacrificial love and giving, things go better. When we keep unity the focus, like Paul talks about in this chapter, things are easier.

TALK - and I don't mean to talk about the hard stuff, that's a given. Too often, that becomes all you talk about, the bills, the house, the chores, talk about the funny things, the things you think the other person wouldn't want to hear because it is so silly! We were told to keep our "useless" conversation going.

Pick your battles. We decided, that for us, we didn't always have to hammer out an issue before we shut our eyes but we had to be comfortable enough to shut our eyes, lying next to each other - no sleeping in separate beds or on couches (unless of course we have uncontrollable snoring or a pregnancy, then there is an exception)...but really, in 7 yrs, we have NOT slept in separate spaces, unless I was pregnant or he was snoring!

I am going to close with a favorite passage of mine, Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8. I chose it for a few reasons. One because it reminds me that life isn't all cheese and wine and beaches and sunsets but yet it is also full of moments of blissful peace and times where you can see a gorgeous sunset and experience overwhelming blessing and abundant love. They are all part of God's plan and promise for us.

1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Brandon and Erin, today is the beginning of your time as a couple, as a family. On behalf of everyone here, on behalf of our family members who were unable to attend, and those who have gone on before us and are sitting at the right hand of God, smiling down with approval - Congratulations and Best Wishes! I love you both!