Monday, October 29, 2007

If You Can't Beat Them, Join Them!

Not completely, but almost...so, two families, two weeks, two TV's GONE. They are not going to be replaced. Not only did these two examples speak to my already convicted heart, but they also spoke to OUR Crown Financial STUDYING hearts. We are going on our 4th week of Crown. Wow, it is amazing - just learing all about God and His idea of finance. Did you know he is like the finance guru. Yep, in the Bible he answers all your questions, how to spend, save, give - everything. Hard to imagine you would learn how to invest there, not from your Edward D. Jones broker. But, this is exaclty where Jake and I are learning, and as of last night, I think we are feeling a little boost in our confidence as we had one dear friend, 5 Mondays from retirement tell us how proud she is of the changes we are making in just the last few weeks, our teachers/mentors said we are so transparent and that they love how we are honest. Well, guess what? God is convicting the you know what out of us, and giving us a swift kick and loving us all at the same time. And instead of feeling beaten down and dark and dreary, I feel hopeful, alive and I bear a lighter load - b/c I know if I ask, God is here, just like with everything else, he is here to bear the weight of debt too - is it good? No, but neither is watching porn, or lieing, or eating too much, or getting drunk. But he still loves us and if we ask for help for a problem bigger then us, he is right there!
So - back to the TV thing, this is TOTALLY GOD - Jake and I literally - today - emailed/called within minutes about the same thing. Now nothing is wrong with our tv...so we aren't ready to just give it away. But we just said, why do we have cable. We don't need it. And so, it is gone, like that. The box goes back tomorrow, and it isn't just the box, it is the DVR too. No big deal. It doesn't PAIN either of us. And I kid you not, just two months ago, money or not we were thinking of a 40" plasma as a Christmas gift for each other. RIDICULOUS! I can't even hardly say it now. I have NO DESIRE.
I have so many other BETTER things to do with my time.
So, Sarah F. and Carrie P. - we still have our TV's, but only the channels that filter through the antenna, and should we miss an episode of Grey's, we have the internet - YEAH! or, I have a dusty VCR and I can probably afford a brand new, blank tape!
We went from over 200 channels and a DVR to about 5 channels and a VCR and know what, I am happier today then I was last week.
I am saving over $70 a month that is going towards DEBT and that I think God will bless.

1 comment:

sfitz said...

Hey, I just read this, it's so awesome! We're starting a movement! You know, Jason and Carrie started with just getting rid of cable. :)