Can you say YUCK!
I couldn't have planned this day any worse. Really, the root canal (part 2) should have come PRE-Neurology appt. I say this b/c Dr. Jay Johnson has restricted me from all pain meds. I then go and have a root canal, a mere Tylenol would be nice about now, forget the headache, my aching mouth!
So, here is where I will post, in all its boring detail, what the Dr. said and where we go from here:
1. NO MORE BIRTH CONTROL. That is right folks. Mr. Lyon and I have yet to discuss what will be our means and I know you aren't interested but I am not to let them within 10 feet, no type, no kind, no matter what. Gone immediately, flushed down the toilet. I am BC free.
2. No Tylenol, Advil, Lortab, Soma or other means of painkillers for headaches until further notice. So, you ask, "What does Keri do while her head hurts?" Nothing. Nice answer, huh. Yep, you got it, nothing. I am in what they call a sort of detox. We have rule out all other possible causes, ie. tumors/anuerisms/clots etc. so that leaves one other thing, a chemical imbalance. Apparently, until we get these "other" chemicals out of my body we won't know which ones to fix. Again, I say, YIKES! Now, the good news is, if I get a migraine I can take Imitrex. And as he looks me straight in the eye "You know the difference b/t a regular headache and a migraine." My first thought is "does this guy think I am a pill popper?" My second thought is "Dr. at $4.00+ a pill you can bet I will only be using Imitrex when absolutely necessary."
3. This detox of sorts is scheduled to last up to 10 days. Yeah for me. It differs for everybody, I could feel minimal pain, and minimal side effects, I could sweat and climb the walls and fight rebound headaches like a maniac. I pray for the first. There is no telling. Please pray for the first too. And please pray that the 10day time thing holds true too. Once I get through this, then it should get better....we can actually go after the problem because all the "bandaids" will be gone.
4. There are two "drugs" that he has given me to aide me in this process. One is a steriod therapy of prednisone, it is like 4pills, for 4days, then 3 for 3days, 2 for 2days etc. It is supposed to help the swelling in my brain and the overall aggitation I am feeling and hopefully help with some of the side effects of my "coming off the other stuff". He also upped my dose of Topomax, which is not a pain reliever but a pain preventer (I guess). I am reacting well to it, meaning no major side effects and he said I would not get the good effects until I was up to 100mg a day and I was only on 50mg.
5. The best news is my antidepressant and antianxiety are in no way harming me, or having an adverse effect with my headache. In fact he said my lexapro is a headache friendly med and sometimes prescribed for headache patients for headaches alone, aside from depression. (and before I go any further, for all you grammar guns, I apologize if I messed up my use of effect and affect)....
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, oh! I forgot, apparently with the prednisone I have to take tums. Maybe only my mom is aware of this, but I hate, with a passion, like a gagging passion, Tums. I hate them hate them hate them and I have to take 2, three times a day. Holy Moly, yuck yuck yuck. I don't know if I can stomach that.
I will try, but yuck!
That is really it. I flushed the Lortabs all down the toilet and the Soma cause I felt this slight addiction thing in me, thinking if I really got in pain I might not be able to take it. I am fine now, with minor pain, but if a moment came when I started to climb a wall, what would I do?
So, my mouth is STILL half numb, I can't hardly open it, but I am drug free! ha!
God has done some good work on my heart (and Jake's) we have been so graciously offered two meals this week, one last night by my sweetest friend Sarah C. and it was delicious and so needed and then sweet Sandy is bringing Enchiladas tomorrow. SUCH a blessing b/c I just can't make it another inch by the end of the day and Jake has already had his day and I guess I kept forgetting that as I run to my room when he gets home, leaving him to cook and take the kids. Wed. he looked at me and said, 'I can't do it today'. I was like, OH, I get it. All I had to offer was my hands to order pizza, ONLINE. So the food was awesome. I have successfully said yes to two babysitting offers and even said yes to my mom who offered to pay for a babysitter for me :)
God is good, we have to let him do his thing.....his way.
There ya have it folks. I thank God for allowing me to get through this post without aggrivating my pain (the screen is a little harsh)....and I thank HIM for each of you reading this, because it means you are my friend or family and it means you love me and my family and you are praying and thinking of us and you love us.
As I close this post out I just want to ask for special prayers for my dear friend from college Jackie, her father is in Hospice, waiting to be with Lord, I just ask for prayers for her family. She and her husband Dave are missionaries abroad and were able to make it to the US in time to be with him, which is such a blessing. I also want to thank God for little Jacksen Pailma, the son of my dear friend Chris Pailma from high school who entered the world over 3 weeks early but is home and doing well!!! Congrats to Ben and Kelly Theil my good friends in Boise who welcomed Paige into the world last week, she is gorgeous. There are just little blessings that are abounding all over. And for some reason I think I forgot, little Grant Perry? He is two weeks old now? Did I forget him? Surely not! He is a man's man - all 8lbs of him! Love that guy.
Blessings one and all.
My New Language
6 years ago







2 comments:
I have been wondering about Kelly and Ben. I'm glad that everything went smoothly and they have a little girl now!!! I wish I could see pics! Do you have her email addy?
I'm glad to hear they are trying to do some things for the pain! Prednisone is great! When Matt was having neck pain and none of the dr could figure it out he got put on that for something else and low and behold neck pain gone. Now I am not sure why you have to take Tums...never have heard of that and I have taken it lots for asthma related stuff.
Wish we lived closer so I could take the kids for you!
Yikes Keri! I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this. I am so impressed by your strength. Best of luck to you and your family. I wish that I could help in some way.
Much love,
Solange
Post a Comment